Tuesday, 22 April 2008

D-Day approaching

Its tuesday, its tuseday, yes its tuesday and like the rehearsals for the D-day attack at Normandy ( which some of them took place on blackpool beach because of there similarity ) im sure time flew away as fast from them soldiers getting ready to fight them on the beaches as it is for us humble artists in Lancaster. Well not quite the same.
But i have decided that the title for this work that i have been making will be ' Day of Days'.

Day of Days , that is what it means, D Day, the day when the sun keeps rising and setting in the west, of low , high , low , high tides.The ferry Riverdance sits through it all, belly up on her sandbank. Everyday the sea defence wall sees all the comings and goings on that beach. Its a popular spot now that Riverdance is hanging out.

I have decide to go through with making the film at the beach even though it will not be in the live event. It seems to be a relevant part of the process and a context to the rest of what i will be doing. Hopefully i can show it somewhere in the Nuffield building as part of the event.
It will be a long day , filming every mintue of an hour to watch the moving of tides and sun travel ( if you can see the sun).
I should be in the studio, rehearsing my material. I know this experience will be fruitful to me in some way though. I will ask people to dance with me who i meet ( hopefully not in the darkest of hours!). I want to meet and dance with others for Riverdance, for her sake and celebration.
I know the glitterball 'they shoot horses don't they' is just a few miles down on the new sea walls of the south pier. Theres a closed nightclub underneath it, thats why its officially the biggest glitterball in the world, the man at the hotel across the way told me all this, local knowledge.

I am that horse, i am that working dancing horse. Ill think of Jane Fonda while im doing it, i think of dance marathons and ill think of all those amazing ballroom dancers and ill think of how ill never be one of those amazing ballroom dancers. But ill give it a try, i may even have a go at wearing some high heels, just for an extra challenge. Another day to try myself in the world.

No comments: