Tuesday, 22 April 2008

06_NC: critical response at a critical time

Yesterday, we each showed 10minutes of material, some a little more, some a little less. Mr P. came to faciltate feedback using Liz Lerman's method critical response process. I found this extremely useful. I have done versions of this before, but never so structured. I found that when responding to someone else's piece it forced me to be astute and focus what I was really saying. When receiving feedback it meant that I really got a sense of what it was I had made, what it did, how it functioned without being clouded by people's opinions and prejudices. I know that it is not for everyone, but it came at just the right time in the process for me. Now I am left with some questions, some thoughts and interesting problems to solve.

I was unsure of what I had made, it is not a piece I thought that I would ever make, and yet showing something, putting it out there, having a little bit of hindsight and reflection allowed me to see the material more. Now I feel it is a question of eeking out what is already there even more. And so on we go...

In the Nuffield, the space we will show our pieces in. It is very different to the space I have been working in. I am grateful for a week to prepare in this space, get to know it. And so I go...

PS I find the function of the blog has changed, my relationship has changed. I was a virgin blogger before this experience and the idea of putting my writing out into the world is quite frightening. In the beginning, during the research I enjoyed writing, formulating my thoughts for another. Now I find I just need to get my head down, into the piece. All my creative thoughts are on that, and the blog has become a box to tick, rather than a tool as it was in the intial stages.

No comments: